Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bear-Man-Thing

Computer go pop

Fun things are happening this morning. As I was watching Netflix before work, my computer started sizzling for about 3 seconds. Then it go big pop. Almost ring your ear big.

Anything that was connect via usb still had power...But the lights were flashing a bit.

Any ideas what it could have been? I don't have time right now to open this bad boy up, I just hope it wasn't my graphics card. Might not be the power supply? Please be something cheap that went boom.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

After searching around a bit online, other people with a similar problem said it's the power supply. I haven't tried turning it back on yet cause I don't wanna damage anything else.

Guess I'm ripping this thing apart and looking at every square inch when I get home. Yay.

yea, sounds like one of your caps busted. Though if everything was working as intended, the rest of the pc should be fine. Hopefully you got a good brand with 80+ and a warranty :D

Yeah, that's what it might be with what I read. I'll have to check if my power supply did come with a warranty.

If it's the mobo, I'm going to be sad. Guess I'll bust out every manual I have again. How would I check to see if the CPU didn't get fried?

I'll check when I get home from work in about 8-9 hours. I'll try to plug in the power only and hook it up to a fan or something inexpensive. Please don't be the mobo :|

I'll keep this updated I guess.

if you heard a pop, its either a cap on your mobo, or a cap in your PSU, your other parts are most likely *fine* 

12 hour shift later, an hour staring at capacitors, and after a paperclip test, my PSU is dead. Yaaaaaaaay! Guess I'm getting a new PSU.

I have a 1070 and a AB350M-HDV mobo. What kind of recommendations do you guys have? I had an EVGA 550 G3 which worked well until it went boom this morning. I kinda don't want another one of those, unless yours is doing well. I'm open to suggestions before I get one tomorrow after work.

Not sure of your system specs or how much you know about stuff but are you sure you aren't pulling too much current from your psu? (like 400,000 hard drives connected)

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. But it didn't blow when I was demanding power or anything, just Netflix. Hour a beefier PSU, so it shouldn't give out 7 months down the road...inb4

Cool. Depending on video quality (1080p and up) video streaming can put a pretty good load on the system. Mainly CPU

Assuming you're using a desktop and not a server with sas+raid controllers, and a single video card, your 550 should be fine. that psu you mentioned is 80+gold which is just fine.