Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bluestreakid15

New PC build. Help would be appreciated.

Hello there. Many of y'all know that I have a walmart PC and can't run very many games above 30 FPS, I would really like to change that.

I'm looking for something that I could piece together relatively quickly, while staying around the $500-$800 USD range. I would like something that I could upgrade with new hardware also relatively easily, and could run most of the newer video games with ease (IE DayZ, PUBG, ETC.)

I need help with the entire build, honestly. Every single component, and I would also need a monitor, but the price of the monitor will not be included in the $500-$800 price range.

When in comes to the case, I want something that would be capable of housing multiple fans / cooling systems. I'd rather have a shit ton of fans and not have to ever worry about overheating. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

-Bluestreak 

Moved to the tech center for hopefully more help. 

I'll see what I can throw together for around that price. One other thing, do you need a copy of Windows included in that price?

1 hour ago, Bluestreakid15 said:

Every single component

Make sure you plug the power in to an outlet.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/97Wnbj

Draft

Got a good MB that you can pop a K-series chip into in the future and overclock decently (you'll need a cooler though).

Thank Coffee Lake for an affordable, high-clock quad-core undercutting even Ryzen.

Even though I normally wouldn't spend money for RGB RAM, that us the cheapest good RAM on the market right now because somebody at Amazon fucked up and it's going fast. I'm going to buy some myself. Only 11 units left. (and that's actually good RAM)

BPX is currently the best entry-level NVMe SSD, and 128GB has decent value. If you need more fast storage, go to the 256GB model; if you need more bulk room in the near future, get whatever drive is cheapest for you.

While not the cheapest, the STRIX is the best 1050 Ti on the market except for (maybe) the EVGA FTW, which is overengineered and expensive anyways. $20 more than cheaper GPUs is worth it for the overclockability. Enough headroom in the PSU to get a 1070 Ti or even a 1080 Ti in the future if you don't overclock the balls out of everything or get a big CPU cooler.

Even though it's a really good case, NZXT S340 is still budget-friendly.

If you have any questions, please ask - I'll turn on notifications for this thread and I'm watching Discord. :thinking:

I also welcome suggestions; I know @Moose is working on something.

Before buying anything (except for the RAM) though, I'd wait until potential Thanksgiving sales and Coffee Lake-related prices calm down a little.

Price comes to $805, but if you get sales and better prices it'll probably amount to $750 if you don't shop around during sales.

I kept most of nymicals parts, but it seems like maybe the ram price went up, as when I looked at the price for what he listed it was ~$200. Dropped to 8, you can upgrade to another stick in the future to squeeze in an i5 instead and a cooler.

This comes out to be ~75 over your 800 max budget, if you can't save for the extra 75 (or wait and see if prices drop for Black Friday / Cyber Monday a bit), then we can do some re-adjusting. Personally I think you could probably come out under 800 if you wait a month, or watch prices and snatch each piece as they go on sale individually.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JQbtPs

Also note that this isn't including Windows, if you need it and have to pay. If you want to get up and running and not pay for Windows off the bat, you can always go with a Linux install and get Windows later.

@Moose yeah, it's no longer on Amazon... it was going for $130 @Bluestreakid15, but irrelevant anymore. I dunno what tf it is with RAM that it gets mispriced so much; I got a 4x16 64GB kit of DDR4 for about half as much as it should have been a couple months ago because somebody put it on sale for 55% instead of 5% at NCIX PogChamp. Can't use it though (because my pre-built I'm using now runs on DDR3), so it's just sitting on a shelf... waiting. 

Regarding the CPU though, I think the i3 is actually better than the i5 for low-end gaming. Sure, after upgrading to a 1070 Ti or better a 8600K is merited, but the i3 has better clocks across all cores, and at 1050 Ti loads, more than 4 cores is unnecessary. The i5 has turbo, but that isn't guaranteed performance across all cores. Besides, I've always found the single-fan AIO solutions to be a bit overpriced... for that cooling, you may want to sacrifice water and go for a CM or Noctua air cooler. If you're investing in an AIO to use when you beef up the processor, I'd go for an NZXT 2-fan solution to match the case bracket on the S340... a Kracken 42 or 62 Rev 2, I think they're called. Currently, you wouldn't need more than 8GB with that build anyways. I do feel bad about that RAM though... 

BTW Moose, for me your build shows up at $900; is it possible that I'm getting worse prices or you're getting better ones due to geo restrictions?

So my revised proposition to you, @Bluestreakid15, is this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/j3hPRG

Good call on the RAM, Moose.

Upsized SSD for better $/GB with the extra money from dropping a stick of RAM.

Upsized PSU to 650W for high overclocking potential with a K-series CPU and up to a 1080 Ti.

Upgrade plan: Analyze load on CPU/GPU/Memory usage in your fav. games, and perform the following upgrades in the order that addresses the bottleneck first:

- Go to 8600K (or 8700K if you're baller) and get an NZXT Kracken X62 Rev. 2 and sell your i3; overclock to your heart's content.

- Go to a 1070 Ti or 1080 Ti GPU, ask around for the best model, buy it, overclock it, and give @nymical your 1050 Ti (or sell it, your choice).

- Get an extra stick of 8GB memory matching the one you own

+ Get another 2x8 pack matching the sticks you own and go baller 32 GB RAM (don't do this if you haven't upgraded to an i7)

*Neither of our builds include fans for the case or aesthetics, so pick up some Noctua fans if you want @Bluestreakid15. Go for the gray ones, they're cheaper (and less brown) because they're last-gen. There's also Cablemod stuff, like Aura RGB and sleeved cabling, if that's your jam.

Any suggestions, Moose? (I know the CPU is very debatable, but even with a base i5 you're not getting the full value out of a Z370 board, and it would *just* fall short of being able to drive a 1070 Ti + because of the lower clocks, but there wouldn't be much value proposition to upgrade your CPU beyond that... I'm taking a CPU upgrade as inevitable, and going with the lowest chip that can drive a system comfortably up to an RX 580. It's amazing that Coffee Lake's i3 matches perfomance of Kaby Lake i5 (non-K)) 

I did say that mine was 75 over budget, I guess that's after mail in rebates, but I suggested waiting for sales to get it all on budget. I do hate suggesting a non-K cpu, so going i3 and planning to upgrade later is a valid option, and probably what I would take in his case to for sure stay on budget - he also gets a bigger SSD (and PSU), which in my history is worth it, because I'm running out on my 256 :(. I also wouldn't worry too much about additional fans for the case or anything. It looks like an i3 comes with a stock cooler, which should be fine until he upgrades - I would probably upgrade that first. If he sees heat becoming an issue, you can always buy fans and stuff down the road.

I'd suggest an h110i saving ~50 on the cooler over the nzxt, but if you want the colors I guess you can pay the extra. 

@Moose

Kraken X62 Rev 2 is $152 https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-X6202&c=CJ

Corsair H115i is $140 (on a perpetual sale) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019955RNQ/?tag=pcpapi-20

Kraken has a slightly quieter pump and looks better, and fits in S340. Corsair and NZXT intentionally put slightly different spacing between fans on their AIO rads so you can't interchange them in their respective cases; Corsair dual-fan AIOs won't fit in NZXT cases. @Corsair, @NZXT :cmonBruh: the sneaky things some companies do...

Found this, which explains it:

Edit: By the way, I wasn't challenging you on the price. My current build is $25 over as well :vapenation

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($193.67 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($148.55 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Windforce OC Video Card  ($209.44 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($67.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $853.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-01 17:23 EDT-0400

Ryzen 1600 comes with a great stock CPU cooler; you can even overclock with it!  Honestly, at your price-range don't get a liquid cooler; you really don't need it.  I also wouldn't necessarily go for Intel's 6-core answer; they rushed their launch specifically because of Ryzen and you are only able to buy their top-tier motherboards.  Not only that, but motherboard support for AM4 will be until 2020, and Intel will require you to upgrade your Mobo every other generation.  Also, helping the underdog is always cool when they actually release an excellent product. 

You can possibly choose cheaper RAM; I'm just familiar with G.Skill edit: Ryzen particularly benefits from fast RAM, though (3000mhz will be good).  Rip your HDD from your current PC for additional storage.  Put OS and favorite games on SSD.

You said that your computer was a Walmart PC, if you're very lucky you might be able to pull the drive and keep windows on it still. YMMV though because most prebuilts have the key tied to the motherboard which kinda sucks.

Lots of people are hesitant to get used parts, but they really aren't so bad and are a great way to cut costs. If you're looking to save money on a GPU feel free to poke around the EVGA B Stock, I got the SSC 1050ti today for about 130$ to finish up a build that doesn't have a single new part in it (runs like a dream too). For all those immediate deals on brand new stuff keep an eye on r/buildapcsales, and for things you may or may not want to get used (ssd/cpu/ram/cooler/case/mobo/gpu are pretty okay to get second hand) r/hardwareswap is good too.

11/02/17 - RAM prices are going up and will likely not be going down for some time, I'd recommend getting some cheap RAM as soon as you can if you have a chance to.

3 hours ago, driz said:

dont cheap out on memory or the PSU. that is all

@drizYou can cheap out on the RAM,  usually it won't be too bad. And for PSU, a non-modular probably less than 500W from a known brand brand is also good enough for what he's asking. 

14 minutes ago, driz said:

dont listen to @Burgham  i'm pretty new to computers, but i think cheaping out on ram and psu is a poor idea. :)

I agree with this... Cheaping out on ram is not ideal. Anything lower than 8 GB of ram (IMO) won’t provide a smooth gaming experience.

@Guardian @driz Just went on PCPartPicker, choose 2x4GB RAM Sticks, cheapest is from Mushkin, Mushkin is a good brand. So he can go for the cheapest RAM and be fine. What's really bad is unknown brand of PSU makers, because a lot more people make PSU than RAM. 

Let it also be said that was for DDR3 memory and not DDR4, but really it depends on what CPU he goes for, so we can't figure out that till he picks one. But cheap DDR4 is still from good brands. 

19 minutes ago, Burgham said:

@Guardian @driz Just went on PCPartPicker, choose 2x4GB RAM Sticks, cheapest is from Mushkin, Mushkin is a good brand. So he can go for the cheapest RAM and be fine. What's really bad is unknown brand of PSU makers, because a lot more people make PSU than RAM. 

Let it also be said that was for DDR3 memory and not DDR4, but really it depends on what CPU he goes for, so we can't figure out that till he picks one. But cheap DDR4 is still from good brands. 

I don't know how much you know but it doesn't take much effort to find out who makes what PSU. Just because say Antec sells a PSU doesn't mean they are the OEM of said item. http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers

On 11/8/2017 at 2:40 PM, Guardian said:

I agree with this... Cheaping out on ram is not ideal. Anything lower than 8 GB of ram (IMO) won’t provide a smooth gaming experience.

to be fair, i'm not talking about quantity, i'm talking about quality. quality in memory and psu is critical. the brand doesnt necessarily indicate quality either. everyone makes "cheap" shit. you gotta do your research. check those 12v rails, check those certifications, verify the timing and voltage reqs on your memory