Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dylan

Study tips

I’m currently in college for web development and I’m looking for tips that some of you guys have used to study.

I get distracted super easy and my attention span is very little.

Set a goal within what your studying for. Pretty much make yourself enthusiastic about said subject, boredom is a killer man you just got to find enjoyment in it no matter how bad it blows. Aderall will not help you remember what you study no matter how focused it makes you. Enthusiasem is key.

Study in a place where others are studying. Studying by yourself is way harder than studying surrounded by students also studying, it helps you focus.

I don't like making goals in terms of time because I don't have that type of self-discipline. I create goals using activities. For instance, if I have to review three chapters, I might tell myself that after I finish chapter 1's practice problems, I'll have a snack, cigarette, beer, whatever. That way you're pushed to complete your task instead of waiting for a timer to ding to do something you probably don't want to do.

Also let the stress and fear of what will happen if you fail sink in. I find most of my "enthusiasm" to study is just a fear of what comes after I fail. Once that anxiety kicks in, you'll find it impossible to sleep and eat so just make yourself feel better by studying. Its a good morale and mental boost.

Definitely go to a library or someplace where others are trying to get work done. Another thing I do is wear earplugs even if its quite. Pretty easy to focus when every sound nearby is blocked. Maybe even drink a redbull on occasion usually helps me at least.

I found that doing work for a period of time then taking a small break then going back at it helped a lot.  I never studied past 10pm (12pm if I had a class that ran till 10) because it has actually been shown that if you do study late into the night, you won't retain the information.  It's better to get a good sleep than pull an all nighter.

There's an extension for Chrome called "Citrus" (was Concentrate).  It will disable certain website for a certain amount of time that you choose.  I would block all the game forums I was part of, reddit, all the manga stuff, all the webcomics, pretty much anything that I could think of that would distract me while writing a paper or studying.

Also, just fucking do it.  If you're in a class/major that you actually enjoy, you will want to learn the material.  I loved my in-major classes and actually wanted to learn about everything we covered and sometimes didn't cover.  Just sit down and study for 20-30 minutes.

I always end up procrastinating as well. I like the idea of being able to block websites for a certain amount of time, but the main thing that distracts me is probably video games. How do I complete my work if the only way I can do it is on the device that holds all my games? I’ve tried deleting everything but end up reinstalling the games I uninstalled.

I remember taking Sociology a while back and had two quizzes every week. What I did was listen to classical music while reading the textbook and completed the exams. Always worked for me.

On 10/19/2017 at 12:53 PM, Ordinarygamer96 said:

Go to the school library and have your computer face people.  That way you're less likely to fuck around 

Do this, and also I always use music as a way to block out other people to keep me in focus, some people lose focus with the music but for me it works to study all the time try it sometime

Also, it should be noted that study buddies can be an effective solution as you have someone quite literally to keep you on track. Also, it's a pretty good way to get to know girls, and you can easily ask them out for a bite to eat after you finish up. Overall, if you're outgoing or have friends in the class, find a study buddy! 

On 10/27/2017 at 11:14 AM, Rock said:

Do this, and also I always use music as a way to block out other people to keep me in focus, some people lose focus with the music but for me it works to study all the time try it sometime

Oh and if you're gonna listen to music, make sure it has no lyrics. Otherwise, very distracting.

14 hours ago, < FoxCom > said:

Oh and if you're gonna listen to music, make sure it has no lyrics. Otherwise, very distracting.

I find myself being able to have lyrics in it and stay on task, but everyone is different

good relaxation music usually does it for me. I can't listen to music I'd normally sing to because I get way too distracted, but if I'm listening to a slower-tempo chill-house type song, I usually concentrate much better.