Sign in to follow this  
trigger.exe

Tips on buying my first car.

I know this is wayyyy too early but it's something i got to think about. Here is what the situation is.

If you don't know, i work as a painter. As of this very moment i do not have a car to use to get to and from work. My mom drives me in the morning, and she usually picks me up after depending on what shes doing for work. Here's why i don't have a car.

My older brother is 21 years old, no job, no school, been done with school for 5 years now. He has done absolutely nothing with his life. I leave for work usually at 6:30-6:45 am, somewhere around there. He needs the car to drop my sister off at school at 8 because shes a spoiled little brat, so if she says she does not want to take the bus, she won't. 

I carry my water jug, my lunch box, and my 5 gallon bucket that has all of my five-in-ones, paint brushes, scrapers.... ect.... I want to carry more, like extra paint buckets to put paint in, mine is currently sitting in the trailer atm with paint getting all dried up n shit in it. 

My parents have already agreed to pay 50% of my first car, and ill pay the other half. I need tips on what to get for this type of thing. Something that's not too big, but yet again something not too small, because i want to be able to carry ladders, platforms, and other big things. so maybe a small pick up? idk. Any suggestions? 

Get one of those big white pedo vans.

They are literally made for holding things like latters, paint and stuff. Or just a minivan.

Also a truck would do, but do you want rain to get onto your equipment?

Also with the larger van, you can probably keep in 5 seats, and still have ample room for all your tools.

Edited by MistaChang

Just now, MistaChang said:

Get one of those big white pedo vans.

They are literally made for holding things like latters, paint and stuff. Or just a minivan.

We had a client that had a pedo van. turns out he was a pedo. fucking creepy fucker.

1 hour ago, Bear-Man-Thing said:

Don't look under the hood.  That shows weakness as you won't trust the seller.  Why would a car not have an engine?

What the actual fuck is wrong with you lol.

Always check under the fucking hood, check for leakages, check for rust, check for damages. Don't trust people.

@trigger.exe as for your car, consider buying manual they are pretty cheap in NA.

Edited by Jodas

2 hours ago, Bear-Man-Thing said:

Don't look under the hood.  That shows weakness as you won't trust the seller.  Why would a car not have an engine?

What?

If it's strictly for work, find a cheap chevy express van/gmc savana (make sure the oil pressure is more than 25psi when it's just sitting there running, V8 LS series engines are known for oil pumps going out but are super duper reliable and last forever if you take care of em.). If it's for work+leisure and you don't wanna drive a disgusting work van around to your friend's house or vacation, maybe consider a pickup truck (with cap) or suv as they are easier on the eyes.

Edited by Velo

2 hours ago, vexer said:

What’s your price budget?

no more than 10 thousand.

1 hour ago, Jodas said:

What the actual fuck is wrong with you lol.

Always check under the fucking hood, check for leakages, check for rust, check for damages. Don't trust people.

@trigger.exe as for your car, consider buying manual they are pretty cheap in NA.

i already know to check everything, i was about to take my dads 1982 Chevy G20 van, till my step dad looked at it. I did not look at it thinking it was going to be fine motor/tranny wise and it running, but frame wise, neh. so yeah one hard left or right turn in that rusty bucket of bolts it might split in half cuz of rust. 

Edited by trigger.exe

1 hour ago, Velo said:

What?

If it's strictly for work, find a cheap chevy express van/gmc savana (make sure the oil pressure is more than 25psi when it's just sitting there running, V8 LS series engines are known for oil pumps going out but are super duper reliable and last forever if you take care of em.). If it's for work+leisure and you don't wanna drive a disgusting work van around to your friend's house or vacation, maybe consider a pickup truck (with cap) or suv as they are easier on the eyes.

Can confirm. My grandfathers truck has an LS based engine. It's currently pushing 295k miles and still runs like a champ. My Corvette also has an LS and it's been solid, even with 600hp+.

You could also go with a Civic. That's usually a safe bet. 

Edited by Fugner

Whats your budget @trigger.exe?

EDIT: nevermind, no more than 10k. 

https://www.carmax.com/cars/chevrolet#Distance=all&ExposedCategories=249+250+1001+1000+265+999+772&ExposedDimensions=249+250+1001+1000+265+999+772&MaxPrice=12000&MinPrice=10000&Page=1&PerPage=50&SortKey=0&Zip=53224

Screw with the search options, and look for a car. 

Edited by fatb0y
NVM

a 2000 model 4 runner 
They're reliable and have good spacious room you can lay the back seats down and they aren't expensive good on gas and the engines are amazing

Subaru Foresters

are inexpensive have tons of room in the back and don't make you look like a pedophile.

you're looking to spend inbetween 10k so a chevy express van is a lot lower than your budget but if youre looking for something Cheap and reliable

LS400 you can buy one for 2k and it has a HUGE trunk theyre fast very comfy and one of the most reliable engines you can honestly get the 1UZFE is known for reaching 400k miles with ease, they're cheap to maintain and very ahead of their time for the years they were made.

If 10k is your budget, I'd look into a truck with a cab on the back. Or a truck without, and find a cab for it.

Where I live, you could get a mid 2000's, give or take a couple years, in pretty decent condition both running, driving and body wise. I'm assuming it would be similar wherever you are.

If you don't want a full-size truck, look at "mini trucks", rangers are a decent bet, and you can still get cabs for them and all that. Otherwise it's gonna depend a lot on whats for sale within your search area, and what pops up that looks good. Mazda, toyota, nissan all make minitrucks those will generally be pretty reliable. Ford has rangers, chevy has the c10 I believe. Most, if not all of these should come in manual, as someone suggested before. Manuals are pretty well bulletproof, and its usually just the clutch that needs replacing, and will be cheaper to get fixed, etc etc.

If you want more specific replies you'll need to give us more specific information. Van? Truck? Car? (wagon or hatchback? Granted they wont haul large items) Suv? Manual or auto? Preferred KM's? Winter friendly? (Assuming you get snow and such)    etc etc etc etc etc

Find a 4 door truck you like in the mid 2000s like Papa said. Unless you plan to tow some heavy ass shit, there's no reason to go with a diesel engine and you will save some money.

Ford E150-E350/Customline

Mitsubishi L200-L300

Volkswagen Transporter

Mercedes Vito

Chevvy Starcraft

Huge cars with all the space a painter would need plus extra. Dunno how easy/hard the mitsus are to find

15 hours ago, nothing_but_fail said:

just get a k5 blazer and throw a crate engine in that bitch

What kind of painter are you?

Do you need an air compressor?

I can't find a K5 in MD with no rust :'( Been looking forever.

11 hours ago, Avery said:

Find a 4 door truck you like in the mid 2000s like Papa said. Unless you plan to tow some heavy ass shit, there's no reason to go with a diesel engine and you will save some money.

17389157_1854297638142211_71095411901813

Im in Wisconsin so if anyone finds something on craigslist or something. I been looking for a bit. 

@Don Juan A Ford E150-E350/Customline would be a little too big, and the gas would prolly cost my entire paycheck. I looked at my dads 89 chevy g20 van, its kind of the same but its in terrible condition. Thanks for the suggestion tho. 

On 10/7/2017 at 6:32 PM, Papa said:

If 10k is your budget, I'd look into a truck with a cab on the back. Or a truck without, and find a cab for it.

My dad has a buddy thats selling a 2000 Ford Ranger, my boss has 2 rangers that he uses for snow removal, and is trying to sell them. Anyways, the one im looking at has been sitting in a garage for 10 years, and before then it was only used during the summer/fall/spring. It's in really good condition, yet to find a price on it. but ill def want to find a cab for it. If im using it during winter which i will need to. 

I also saw a 1998 Chevy Trailblazer sitting out in someones yard, a thousand bucks for it..... 

Now idk about buying cars, but a car for a thousand bucks, i see that aint really worth it. I haven't looked at it yet, i might tomorrow if i go past it. 

Edited by trigger.exe
added shit

On 10/7/2017 at 5:02 PM, nothing_but_fail said:

just get a k5 blazer and throw a crate engine in that bitch

What kind of painter are you?

Do you need an air compressor?

What i would like to carry with me, but can't. 

Step Ladders, 4 foot - 8 foot

Tool boxes for things like tape measures, screw drivers, the basic shit, but then i need shit like blue tape, plastic wrap to wrap furniture with, if needed, stir sticks, like a thousand plastic buckets to put paint in, like a thousand different paint brushes, from Chinese Bristle Brushs, to Nylon and Polyester brushes, ranging from half a inch to 4 inches, then staining brushes.

Then roller and roller polls, roller trays, liner for thos trays, Cleaning materials.

Drop clothes is a big issue at the moment, all the drops we have in the trailer im working from now are all torn up, they got holes in em.  

Now things material wise, paint, paint thinner, cawck, glaze, deglosser, shit like that is already provided, but we tend to run out of something and wont get more for another week. because my boss makes trips to the store on the weekend to kind of restock i guess you can say. 

Paint rollers, and brushes, and scrapers, tools n shit we got to have our own, i been borrowing my co workers tools for weeks, which their fine with, cuz i give them back at the end of the day, but yes i would like my own.

Yes im really over looking it, but i would like to have anything i need to do something at any given time.

EDIT: and Sand Paper is another big issue. He likes to provide us with it, but we needed 50 grit and thicker, and we dident have any.... and since he does not shop till the weekend, we are stuck using 120 grit on shit that we need 50 grit for. 

Edited by trigger.exe

On 10/10/2017 at 7:06 PM, trigger.exe said:

Im in Wisconsin so if anyone finds something on craigslist or something. I been looking for a bit. 

@Don Juan A Ford E150-E350/Customline would be a little too big, and the gas would prolly cost my entire paycheck. I looked at my dads 89 chevy g20 van, its kind of the same but its in terrible condition. Thanks for the suggestion tho. 

My dad has a buddy thats selling a 2000 Ford Ranger, my boss has 2 rangers that he uses for snow removal, and is trying to sell them. Anyways, the one im looking at has been sitting in a garage for 10 years, and before then it was only used during the summer/fall/spring. It's in really good condition, yet to find a price on it. but ill def want to find a cab for it. If im using it during winter which i will need to. 

I also saw a 1998 Chevy Trailblazer sitting out in someones yard, a thousand bucks for it..... 

Now idk about buying cars, but a car for a thousand bucks, i see that aint really worth it. I haven't looked at it yet, i might tomorrow if i go past it. 

Be careful when buying vehicles that have been sitting. Gaskets get old, they might leak after not have been driven for awhile, etc etc. I wouldn't recommend getting something thats been sitting for very long unless you're prepared to do your own fluid services and possibly some gaskets if things start to leak. For instance, here, any tire over 10 years old can not be driven on. Any tire over 6 years old can not be put onto the vehicle. Tires can have lots of tread, but can dry rot and still fail inspection here.

$1000 isn't awful for a vehicle. I don't know about where you are, but here we need vehicle inspections in order to register/insure them. The idea is to find a vehicle in decent shape that will need the least amount of work to register/insure and not blow itself up. I bought my 2000 mazda protege for $600, replaced some suspension on it, cost me $1000 in parts since I did it myself. I bounce off the redline in that thing in winter when the tires spin and it still runs fine hahaha. Don't be discouraged by low price, and replacement of most basic suspension parts is quite easy. I personally was more concerned with anything leaking in the engine bay. Generally leaks is a good way to tell that the previous owner neglected routine maintenance for the vehicle. Ended up getting 4 winter tires and rims that fit on it for $100 from my coworker, drive that shit all year if I want. I need to do a bunch of maintenance on it, but that will only be the cost of the fluid since I'll do all of it myself.

If you're looking for a shitty winter beater, sure, $1000 will get you something decent if you don't mind small problems like stereos not working, maybe automatic door locks, etc. However, with a 10k limit, you can easily get something pretty damn decent for 6-8k, and have 2k on the side for anything that comes up.