Sign in to follow this  
turbulance

Restricting movement skills

What should we do about Beginning of the round movement skills  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Restrict movement skills at the start of the round!

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care
  2. 2. Keep them how they are

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

Ok so a long time issue this server has had and we have discussed it and it always kinda just died off or nothing ever came of it. I think it would really make the server a better place for most smaller/open maps and newer players if we restricted movement skills for lets just say the first 10s after buy time. Races with LJ/teleport can reach almost a majority of the maps we play opposing teams spawn in the first 5-10s of a map and it's just not fun for the other team and players. I know some agree I know some won't but I am throwing my two cents in the hat. Do I like it no do I think it should change ehhh...to me it is more of a map specific issue and #winning mindsets that grief that issue the most. Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions on the thread

The only time I think it is a problem is with spicy chicken or agrippa rushing on archimonde. Even then its only one kill. Most maps restrict skyboxes, so you cannot get to spawn at start with teleport anyway. It would essentially be a nerf on all races with movement skills. New ideas are always helpful though, just my critique.

1 hour ago, ESDaman said:

The only time I think it is a problem is with spicy chicken or agrippa rushing on archimonde. Even then its only one kill. Most maps restrict skyboxes, so you cannot get to spawn at start with teleport anyway. It would essentially be a nerf on all races with movement skills. New ideas are always helpful though, just my critique.

Pretty much this, I don't want to slow down the game play and have new players be like "why the fuck doesn't my movement work" or you're stepping out to peak and then your 150% speed kicks in and you're in the wide open grabbing your ankles waiting for agrippa to pop into your ass.

I understand the annoyance and I agree that sometimes it's very frustrating to get instagibbed, but I don't think it's a good idea to just restrict movement outright. I think the fast-pace is what attracts a lot of people in the first place, and slowing it down may have more of a negative effect than a positive one.

16 hours ago, Face said:

I understand the annoyance and I agree that sometimes it's very frustrating to get instagibbed, but I don't think it's a good idea to just restrict movement outright. I think the fast-pace is what attracts a lot of people in the first place, and slowing it down may have more of a negative effect than a positive one.

Completely agree with Face, the fast pace movement is what attracts a lot of people and restricting the movement in the beginning of the round might do more harm then good to the server.

Really the best thing for the server, in my opinion, would be making all the resources a lot more intuitive.

Shopinfo is a mess, and is there a specific reason it doesnt operate similar to raceinfo (raceinfo [race name])?

Newcomers into the server really rely on the server not being in a toxic mood at the time.

I feel like we could add a few more useful automated messages to the chat scroll.

For me it is easy to say, dont like beimg spawn killed? Play a tank or a leech- play a speed and get out of spawn.

Newcomers aren't going to know or understand that, and the regulars that "aren't as good" have already resigned to their "place" on the server.

The answer should never be "remove/reduce a feature".

30 minutes ago, LunaBadger said:

Newcomers into the server really rely on the server not being in a toxic mood at the time.

I feel like we could add a few more useful automated messages to the chat scroll.

Suggestions on what those automated messages would be?

I thought about adding the damage type (magic vs phys) to all console damage prints as a QOL change but it might be a lot of work. I don't know how many people would use it.

Cycling through all the commands

War3help (or w/e shorter text) for commands and info

Raceinfo [race name] to find out more about a specific race

Skillsinfo for quickly finding out what your race does

Changerace [race name] lets you quickly change to a race you want to play

Shopmenu lets you buy useful items that enhance your abilities

Shopinfo will tell you about shop items and what they do

Or something that goes over general abilities

Invisibility will make your player and gun model transparent

Leech will give you a percent health back for damage you deal

Long jump increases the distance you travel in air

There are two types of teleport: blink and lunge. The former is an instantaneous travel of distance where as the other acts as a sort of long jump.

When using a lunge type teleport (see Human Alliance) make sure to aim up a little and jump so your teleport isn't wasted.

Stuff like that

The FAQ of War3.

11 hours ago, LunaBadger said:

-snip

Idk, I feel that should be the SO's duty (not exclusively) but I mean what other responsibility do they have over regular admins? They should be the first ones taking the initiative to introduce the players to the mechanics and commands. Most common questions I hear is "What is this server", "How do I use my abilities", and then usually leaving because they feel like they got killed by something unfair/didn't understand.

Throwing it out there but every new player to the server that has under 20 levels or something gets a +100 health bonus or something? Just spitballing here.

On 10/4/2017 at 5:54 PM, ESDaman said:

The only time I think it is a problem is with spicy chicken or agrippa rushing on archimonde.

:(

Also, can we not turn into CE? Thanks.

@B-cock #1 lol trust the SOS that's a good one.

I kid, but frankly two or three people cant be the only people there to instruct and inform newcomers.

Ideally the community would come together to make it inviting, but this is SG- if it's not toxic it's not SG.

On movement speed - Certain maps it is certainly fairly griefy to die 3-8 seconds into the round while still buying nades. Locking movement at the beginning of the round, however, is not imo the way to address it. Using your mic +teamwork and/or countering with a certain race seems much more reasonable.

On new players - There aren't enough SO's to be instructing every new player 24/7 on how the server works. As Toad stated about instructional messages that is an excellent idea. I understand we already have wcs / war3menu but the fact of the matter is this is not 1.6 / source and the community of GO is not as patient, understanding or familiar with community servers. Should wcs be enough? Yes. Unfortunately many people leave before even scratching the surface of the information they need to take in. My suggestion, on top of reinforcing Toads idea, is to appoint those who wish to assist in the matter to a "helper" position. No powers such as kick or ban or money but just be able to talk in colour chat and stand out as an official to help new players get in their groove. I remember when I first joined a warcraft server in source I read forever until I understood because 8 year old me got screamed at, called a retard / goof / etc. Most people leave after someone says "READ WCS YOU IDIOT, GAWD PEOPLE ARE SO STUPID"

1 hour ago, LunaBadger said:

@B-cock #1 lol trust the SOS that's a good one.

I kid, but frankly two or three people cant be the only people there to instruct and inform newcomers.

Ideally the community would come together to make it inviting, but this is SG- if it's not toxic it's not SG.

I would use SOS if I was in distress.  Most maritime persons will know I am in obvious trouble, thankyouverymuch.

If people ask questions, I will answer if I'm on.  That's just my thing not only as an SO, but as a person.  The community can do it when an SO is offline as well, as you stated.  If I'm just hanging out, you guys tend to answer questions when I take a little bit of time to answer them.  IMO, if you're not super toxic to that person, chances are they'll stick around.  I've noticed quite a few new people coming back in the past few months.  I think 3 or 4?  Don't be a dick straight up.  They'll see we're assholes to each other, but love each other.  They all figure it out and soon dish it out as well.

Yea you're right, fuck autocorrect.

It's what it is.

I mean, I can hardly say, I'm probably off for another few months- until then I'll periodically check in.

I don't know- the culture that inhabits War3 (myself included) is 'you're trash get good'- which is entirely backward due to the constant 'lol this is casual' attitude.

Honestly, unless SG, as a whole, takes a stance against 'gatekeeping', it will die a slow, hemorrhaging death.

Edited by LunaBadger

On 10/4/2017 at 7:40 PM, Face said:

Quick make it 24/7 dm to make it super fast! ;D /kidding

Long jump has always felt a little silly imho... Specially when you bhop it right and slide up / around slopes just right >.>'

I don't think +% move speed would need to be 'slowed' at the start of the round, just teleport (& blink) / longjump if anything were to happen really. Those two are really strong.