Sign in to follow this  
Dakka

Potential Heroes, Get Inspired!

Our Warcraft 3 server is fine how it is, though however, I would like to see some ACTUAL Warcraft 3 heroes added to the server. I understand that the Warcraft mod is about having a set of abilities and not about the lore of the game itself, but it just doesn't feel right to ignore the large, untapped potential content that's in the actual game and its expansion. In just Warcraft 3 + Frozen Throne, we get heroes from all across the Warcraft universe: Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms, Outland, Northrend, and even on some islands. In this post, I'll list off a ton of potential additions to the server and hopefully inspire some people to go out and write up races for use on the server. In red will be heroes being unused, in yellow heroes that are kinda used, and in green are heroes that are being used currently.

I will update the list and link the hero name to your post, so feel free to pick one and get creative. I would recommend reading up on how the hero worked in-game to get a sense on how their abilities should be like on the server.

Here's a list of all the NAMED hero units in Warcraft 3 and its expansion:

Arthas Menethil (Before Frostmourne)

Uther Lightbringer

Jaina Proudmoore - We have an "Archmage Proudmoore" just not named Jaina.

Antonidas

Muradin Bronzebeard

Garithos

Lady Vashj

Kael'thas Sunstrider

Akama

Tyrande Whisperwind

Shandris Feathermoon

Malfurion Stormrage

Cenarius

Illidan Stormrage

Maiev Shadowsong - We have a "Warden" but no indicator it's Maiev specifically

Ner'Zhul (The Lich King)

Arthas Menethil (After Frostmourne)

Kel'Thuzad

Anub'arak - We have a "Crypt Lord" but no indicator it's Anub'arak specifically

Sylvanas Windrunner

Varimathras

Mal'Ganis

Tichondrius

Archimonde

Mannoroth

Azgalor

Kil'jaeden

Magtheridon

Balnazzar

Thrall

Grom Hellscream

Sen'Jin

Cairne Bloodhoof

Rexxar

Rokhan

Chen Stormstout - We have a "Brewmaster Monk" but no indicator it's Chen Stormstout

Vol'Jin

Gul'dan

Look at all of those! Here's a ton of characters with importance in the lore that can be used in the server.

Now here's the list of all the neutral and racial heroes that you found on non-campaign maps:

Naga Sea Witch

Dark Ranger

Pandaren Brewmaster

Beastmaster

Pit Lord

Goblin Tinker

Firelord

Goblin Alchemist

Paladin

Archmage - We have three "Archmages"

Mountain King

Blood Mage

Blademaster

Far Seer

Tauren Chieftan

Shadow Hunter

Demon Hunter

Keeper of the Grove

Priestess of the Moon

Warden

Death Knight

Dread Lord

Lich

Crypt Lord

A ton more green than the last list, but still plenty of unused content!

Link to our current races (or heroes): https://pastebin.com/78Vhg2K5

Link to Warcraft 3 races: http://classic.battle.net/war3/races.shtml

Link to named heroes from Warcraft 3: http://wow.gamepedia.com/List_of_Warcraft_III_hero_units

Link to neutral heroes from Warcraft 3: http://classic.battle.net/war3/neutral/

Though to be honest, you could make a hero from any character in the Warcraft universe, even from Warcraft 1 & 2 or even further into the future than where we are now!

(Yes, Dakka made a big post SMOrc)

Edited by Dakka

Tbh creating a notable character from the universe will simply be a combination of races and abilities and I dunno if we want that. For example, Muradin Bronzebeard would simply be Human Alliance with Orc's Reincarnate ability instead of invisibility. IDEK what his ultimate would be, since all the dwarven heroes in Warcraft 3 had the same thing ult, Avatar, and it's not relatable to him at all. Even in the games, each character is simply a beefed up unit of a class (Uther is simply a Paladin in Warcraft 3, Arthas is simply a skinned Paladin and later Deathknight, Jaina is simply another mage in a WoW instance). Honestly I just roleplay as Lord Garithos from Warcraft3 whenever I play and scorn anyone who's not a Human Alliance. I do think you're right about our server becoming less of a Warcraft server and more of a Superhero server though. I'm just waiting for a Morpheus race with skinned dual mp7s tbh.

In a similar vein, when I was in my coding mood I came up with a few ideas that I wanted to propose to our engies but wanted to fully refine them before doing so: "hero races" was one of them, where they were limited to one hero per team, accessible at any level, beefy and easy to kill with/lots of skills (though not totally broken of course). The idea was to help newbies out or anyone having a bad game and playing one required a bad KD/less team round wins and/or playtime was limited to a few rounds per map. Idea requires refining like I said but it's been a while since I've been in that coding mood so it's on the backburner.

Edited by Rootbeer
spelling

You could honestly just rename half the servers races to fit most of these names and personas. Every warcraft server from Cata to CEG and even the European ones and obviously ours always devolve into custom races with weird names and abilities. The communities want fresh and unique races and skills to make them distinct, fun, and creative. When I make races I try to keep them in the fantasy universe of warcraft or D&D. You still play warcraft and you have to remember a lot of people who play on this modded server don't play warcraft or let alone even know what the hell it is. I think your expectations of your community and your ENG is a bit high for the reality of what the server is and what its purpose is to the players. 

Edited by turbulance

1 hero per team at 12+ server pop, limited to like 5 rounds per 100 (per player) would be pretty dank honestly. Would definitely piss people off though.

Imagine when the worst player on your team gets the "hero" for the first 5 rounds vs someone great on the other team gets the hero. You get stomped for 5 rounds then cash/shopitems are so imbalanced

Edited by Face

11 hours ago, Face said:

1 hero per team at 12+ server pop, limited to like 5 rounds per 100 (per player) would be pretty dank honestly. Would definitely piss people off though.

Imagine when the worst player on your team gets the "hero" for the first 5 rounds vs someone great on the other team gets the hero. You get stomped for 5 rounds then cash/shopitems are so imbalanced

Marzu gets hero on T side while buddha gets it on CT side. What a terrible turn of events that would be.

But honestly, even taking that into account I still think it would be pretty dank. Just imagine the shenanigans that would go on.

just put marzu on a plugin

ban top 20 from hero races

ez

W3S has never really been about being Warcraft in Counter-Strike, really.

I get the sentiment but making races based off anything in the Warcraft Universe would get stale pretty quickly.

I do like the hero races concept, but save that kinda shit for an event and have it be like in Battlefront where someone mid range in points or some arbitrary person gets to play the hero.

Juggernauts don't really belong in Counter-Strike though, in my opinion.

Even if they did, we already have infected.

While i can fancy the idea - i don't think "Hero races" in the sense of purposely overpowered race would be good here on our server. Despite what some claim - we do try and keep races somewhat balanced (Obviously cant be 100% as then everything is the same) but we like to keep as close to as we can while still keeping a nice flare and distinctness between races. Wile keeping things "fair" between races, it makes it so people who enjoy the competition can play and have fun and the server then (Mostly) more relies on skill and not race.  If we bring in "Hero Classes" Who are purposely overpowered, even if they are restricted in some way - it will ruin 1v1 fights. Everyone hates losing a 1v1 specifically because of some type of ability the race has - now multiply that for the hero race and people will be bitching more then they are now.

Edit -

On to the original message, most heroes (as normal races) would just be the race we already have but slightly tweaked. So any hero that as a race that is (Basically) already in the game isnt a good idea to make the hero.  To the heroes that currently do NOT have anything related to them in the game, sure - thats something we can use and go forth with that. But on that note id like to say i do already have some new stuff in the works, its just taking longer cause of a few reasons.

Edited by ATG_AGENT