Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eli

RX 500 series

RX 500 Series just dropped, its basically a bit better than the 400 series, its cheaper, and more power efficient. Ive seen some 4GB 580's for around $220 which is the same price I bought my 480. But fr anyone planning to buy a 500 series?

No. I wouldn't waste my money on it. It's basically a 480 but a physical update on the component. Only overclocks to around 50mhz above factory overclocked versions and is basically a "sorry we fucked up on the 400 series heres the same architecture put together with somewhat better specs, we hope you will buy it."

I have a 480 at the moment, pretty satisfied for what I use it for. Will wait for Vega

9 hours ago, Lazzercat said:

No. I wouldn't waste my money on it. It's basically a 480 but a physical update on the component. Only overclocks to around 50mhz above factory overclocked versions and is basically a "sorry we fucked up on the 400 series heres the same architecture put together with somewhat better specs, we hope you will buy it."

I don't know why you're being downvoted, you're absolutely right.

If you already have a 400 series gpu there's no reason what so ever to buy a 500 series. AMD has always done this, shit the 7970 got rebranded, I think 3-4 times? Unless you're building a new PC or are upgrading from a GT 6600 you really shouldn't get a 500 series, just wait for Vega, even if you don't plan on getting a high tier card the 500 series cards will drop in price after Vega launches 

1 hour ago, Destin said:

I don't know why you're being downvoted, you're absolutely right.

If you already have a 400 series gpu there's no reason what so ever to buy a 500 series. AMD has always done this, shit the 7970 got rebranded, I think 3-4 times? Unless you're building a new PC or are upgrading from a GT 6600 you really shouldn't get a 500 series, just wait for Vega, even if you don't plan on getting a high tier card the 500 series cards will drop in price after Vega launches 

There's like a 10% or so FPS bump in some titles from the 480 to 580 series. The architecture is the same, but a lot of other changes were included on the PCB. Not only that, but the price-to-performance of the 500 series is better than that of the 400 series. If you are considering upgrading from a 300 series, I'd definitely consider the 500 series. If you're upgrading the from the 400 series, it's probably not worth the cost.

That being said, myself and a ton of other people are waiting on Vega to release along with some benchmarks. If you're looking for high end or enthusiast cards, I'd wait for Vega. If you're looking for more mid to high end cards, I think the 500 series is a very good option.