Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Oob

[NewLink] I made some changes to westwood 07

Map tweaked a bit to fix a few things etc.

-Map was tweaked a bit (for optimization and faster recompiling the map, hopefully >.>)

-Some small changes made to the map to fix a few hiccups with it

---- There was a doorway that you couldn't walk through, but now you can.

---- The doors in the map that open/close will now open and close together. (They close automatically after a short delay and don't close via +use which is just like the original version of 07. You cannot push them open/close because things got silly with both doors working with each other xD. The doors don't always 'open' in the same direction, most of the time they do.)

---- Small change to a window so you could crouch walk through it from the outside (who can guess which windows this is lol?)

---- Some player clipping was added (and one removed). No silly floating on air on bombsite A and no more getting stuck on the 'ads' in bombsite B (this is mostly because these ads and quite a few others had their collision turned off).

---- One lightbox had its collision turned off so you didn't get snagged on it in the hallway (building near T spawn that led into the hall with barrels). A few lightboxes got collision turned off in the barrel hallway actually (totally forgot about that). One still has its collision for "gameplay balance" >.>'

New Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4cqdt6wcyqa5vxo/de_westwood_07_v2.zip?dl=0

99% sure all the ads are in place (not pixel perfect but still in the right locations).

Everything should be packed correctly in the map file.

-.nav file so that bots can be played with right away (no 'samping walking space')

-decals, textures, props so that the map 'looks' right

-stringtable thing (its a map related thing)

Map should be 'server' ready / friendly (I think).

Old post in spoiler.

Few days back I was playing with ghoul and others and he mentioned how sucky the ads and such on the westwood 07 map was. I volunteered to change the map a bit.

-Map has no silly ads.

-Map was tweaked a bit (for optimization and faster recompiling the map, hopefully >.>)

-Some small changes made to the map to fix a few hiccups with it (there was a doorway that you couldn't walk through, but now you can)

-(Some 'ad' signs where completely removed and some are kept, but 'painted over' to keep a sense of cover on some of the roofs.)

-All the sound zones (whatever you wish to call them) work and play the sounds still, I didn't change/remove them because I like them :D.

First time in a year or two having decompiled and recompiled a map. Feel free to download and test it out yourself. I 'packed' the map, so the textures, props, and such should be fine.

As a bonus there is a loading screen 'map' and a radar image. Nothing super fancy, but it should do.

Link: Old Link Dead

(Feel free to add it to the server :D.)

Edited by Mr_Oob
Updated map and link.

We kept the original ads as homage to the original map maker, and to keep the theme of the map. I'm okay with fixing the bugs with the porting to CSGO, but I am not okay with removing the credits for the community and players that made the map possible in the first place. This would be like editting one of the LotR maps to not have credits or shout-outs...

39 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Removing the ads is like plagiarism^2 lol, it'd be a huge slap to the original creator's face if we hosted it.

who is the original creator?

I agree. As a map dev I wouldn't want to see my maps decompiled for the sole purpose of removing stuff that I put in there as a signature. There have been many maps over the years I have fixed for sG and a few I recall having an abundance of pics and sigs to the point of being annoying, but it would be disrespectful to remove them so I left them. I've only ever removed audio signatures and chat spam, Ss these caused problems at the time. 

still it's good to know you have some experience in mapping and are interested in it. we are always looking for more mappers. 

2 hours ago, Mimic said:

We kept the original ads as homage to the original map maker, and to keep the theme of the map. I'm okay with fixing the bugs with the porting to CSGO, but I am not okay with removing the credits for the community and players that made the map possible in the first place. This would be like editting one of the LotR maps to not have credits or shout-outs...

Basically what I thought may happen and why I was hesitant on putting it up.

Ill give the original map a shot sometime these coming days then and use what I've got now as a reference on what to fix. (Might even be today / tomorrow since its the weekend.)

Any feedback though now would be helpful to know that the map works (because the process and changes are going to be near the same). Like - Does the radar work on the loading screen / in game? Any missing / white / balck textures etc. Did the map work right away with bots or did it do the 'sampling walking space' (it should work right away with bots, the .nav file is packed in correctly I hope)?

I'll be starting over from the base 07 map rather than trying to place the ads back into the version I made (since there was very little change to the actual blocks that make up the level).

19 hours ago, Mr_Oob said:

-Some small changes made to the map to fix a few hiccups with it (there was a doorway that you couldn't walk through, but now you can)

Fucking piece of shit door way, dude.

Any how, did you leave the swing door operation in? That's one thing I really would nitpick on the map is the manually opening both doors. Having them work simultaneously or automatically would be nice.

With all the respect talk going on, did that mother fucker that placed a shitload of terrible textures on the map make the original westwood? Like, unless he's been doing westwood since it's incarnation, fuck off on him and 'respect', really.

49 minutes ago, LunaBadger said:

With all the respect talk going on, did that mother fucker that placed a shitload of terrible textures on the map make the original westwood? Like, unless he's been doing westwood since it's incarnation, fuck off on him and 'respect', really.

no actually u do have a good point. i still wouldn't remove them under the suspicion that they aren't from the original creator but it does bring up the point that sometimes its a good idea to really do some research and track down the original author. who knows. the maker of westwood might have released some new unheard gems since!

1 hour ago, LunaBadger said:

Any how, did you leave the swing door operation in? That's one thing I really would nitpick on the map is the manually opening both doors. Having them work simultaneously or automatically would be nice...

Ah like this is a good idea to add to the map. I'll be sure to keep this in mind (it shouldn't be too hard, I think I even know what to do without having to look it up).

I'm cool with a map having like a 'credits' room or something that is not blatantly breaking the map's look, but the amount of it here is overpowering. That is the only reason I removed them in the initial post.

Bahhhh... Thinking about it now, it might just be easier to have both maps open and copy/pasta the old ads in :S. Still I'll probably save this work for later.. Going to play some games and spend time with the family.

On 2/10/2017 at 11:37 PM, gemma said:

who is the original creator?

Nipper, legendary mapper, created westwood for CS1.6 and ported it himself to CS:S.

I can't remember the differences between westwood and westwood07.

Edited by thorgot

14 hours ago, Hamburglar said:

I'd prefer if we didn't have two versions of the same map. We don't need more maps, we need to get rid of the ones we haven't played in weeks.

It is not meant as a second version of the same map, it is meant as an updated version of the map (remove old 07 on the server, add 07_v2 to the server).

Maps that don't get played for a while can actually get played a few days in a row due to the bonus xp on them. It all just depends on what shows up on the vote list (which is affected by what players nominate so nominate some maps up even if you don't rtv it helps).

10 hours ago, Mr_Oob said:

It is not meant as a second version of the same map, it is meant as an updated version of the map (remove old 07 on the server, add 07_v2 to the server).

I was referring to two westwoods and two Italys. It just adds a buffer of maps so we never have to play underplayed maps. Most people don't want a map because it has bonus xp. If people cared we wouldn't play office or Italy 24/7.

11 hours ago, Jodas said:

Nipper literally released WestWood_v2 3 days ago http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=862889198

:O! I'm ok if we have only this version by nipper :D! Looks rather cool.

13 hours ago, Hamburglar said:

I was referring to two westwoods and two Italys. It just adds a buffer of maps so we never have to play underplayed maps. Most people don't want a map because it has bonus xp. If people cared we wouldn't play office or Italy 24/7.

Oh yeah we do have two italys xD!

I've seen votes pass on maps the entire server doesn't know what is it just because of a 15/20% bonus on it. Everyone is like "man I don't remember what this map is like, lets go see what it is." A crappy map will get rtv'd quickly of course, but sometimes we do stick the map out and it is a heck of a lot of fun.

You know we could still have your version but move all the credits to a additional unreachable area of the map instead of them being all over the place. Hell you could just have them in the terrorist graveyard spawn area where they are out of the way and less of a distraction.

The one under the water tower should stay where it is though. That is a good spot.

Latest version provided in the OP has this fixed.

The only thing I can think of is that you might be playing an older version (probably the 'ad free' one).

On 3/16/2017 at 7:11 PM, LunaBadger said:

E25BDF7F41CBE32FE8967769769712CA4DF3C5A1

Between bombsite b and the corner toward t spawn is this gap in roof

literally unplayable pls fix

Yes/no

They updated the map and removed the dropbox lever.

We just noticed this when playing a few days ago.

This just seemed the proper thread for a quality shitpost.