Sign in to follow this  
UnknownLegend

Feature Suggestion

So, as someone that's trying to level optimally (or at least in the most optimal way I can think of...), I always buy tomes on my lowest level race that I'm able to buy tomes on when I get 15k.  I switch from whatever race I want to play to that race, buy a tome, switch back.  That gets kind of tedious, so I was wondering if a QOL feature could be implemented to make that a little easier...  I'm sure I'm not the only one that does this. Feature could take one of two forms that I can think of:

1)  Through the changerace command, typing something like "Changerace lowest" will switch the player to their lowest level race that they have access to that can use tomes.  If they have multiple races at the same level, it can be either randomized, or just go to the first race in the list... doesn't matter.  If they're using this command, they're just using it to level random races.

2)  Build an option that can be toggled on and off using something like !tomes, which (when toggled on) makes it so when a player buys a tome, it won't apply the tome XP to their current race, but to their lowest level race that can use tomes.  If they have multiple races that are the same level, see above.  

Editing because I just thought of another way the feature described in #2 could be built out to add further utility...  You could also make it similar to changerace, where instead of having a popup menu that toggles it on/off, simply list the race you want Tome XP to go to (and add "lowest" as an option to make it function similar to suggest #1).  Trying to get your XXXXX leveled up, but don't feel like playing it right now?  Or is it not fun to play until it reaches a certain level?  Use "tomexp XXXXXXXXX" to send Tome XP to a specific race, "tomexp current" or "tomexp disable" to send it to your current race, or lastly "tomexp lowest" to send it to your lowest level race.  Make it persistent, just like other settings (quake sounds, respawn location, etc).  @ctark tagging you because I want you to see this too since you liked the OP :)

Edited by Junzou

3 hours ago, Junzou said:

So, as someone that's trying to level optimally (or at least in the most optimal way I can think of...), I always buy tomes on my lowest level race that I'm able to buy tomes on when I get 15k.  I switch from whatever race I want to play to that race, buy a tome, switch back.  That gets kind of tedious, so I was wondering if a QOL feature could be implemented to make that a little easier...  I'm sure I'm not the only one that does this. Feature could take one of two forms that I can think of:

1)  Through the changerace command, typing something like "Changerace lowest" will switch the player to their lowest level race that they have access to that can use tomes.  If they have multiple races at the same level, it can be either randomized, or just go to the first race in the list... doesn't matter.  If they're using this command, they're just using it to level random races.

2)  Build an option that can be toggled on and off using something like !tomes, which (when toggled on) makes it so when a player buys a tome, it won't apply the tome XP to their current race, but to their lowest level race that can use tomes.  If they have multiple races that are the same level, see above.

Could you have a bind like "changerace low; menuselect 1", a bind to buy a tome, and a bind to change to whatever race you are playing?

13 minutes ago, thorgot said:

Could you have a bind like "changerace low; menuselect 1", a bind to buy a tome, and a bind to change to whatever race you are playing?

Yeah, that's why I put in #1.  I figured it would the easier of the two options.   To your point, I guess with binds if someone wanted to level a specific race, they could just have their race name instead of the new "low" value.  

The nicer thing about #2 is that you wouldn't need to kill yourself if you happen to go over 16k and want to buy two tomes, or wait until the end of the round to use your binds.  If say, I'm at 14k cash, and an admin gives 16k after freeze, then I die before I can buy my tomes, I essentially lose out on 14k because my money goes back down to 16k on death.  Option #2 would allow me to buy tomes at any point in the round for the race I want.  It's really up to whomever wants to spend the time coding the changes; either one accomplishes what I suggest, but #2 does it a little more completely.

7 hours ago, Junzou said:

Yeah, that's why I put in #1.  I figured it would the easier of the two options.   To your point, I guess with binds if someone wanted to level a specific race, they could just have their race name instead of the new "low" value.  

The nicer thing about #2 is that you wouldn't need to kill yourself if you happen to go over 16k and want to buy two tomes, or wait until the end of the round to use your binds.  If say, I'm at 14k cash, and an admin gives 16k after freeze, then I die before I can buy my tomes, I essentially lose out on 14k because my money goes back down to 16k on death.  Option #2 would allow me to buy tomes at any point in the round for the race I want.  It's really up to whomever wants to spend the time coding the changes; either one accomplishes what I suggest, but #2 does it a little more completely.

It's not new, changerace low already exists and should list your races in ascending order of level.

1 hour ago, thorgot said:

It's not new, changerace low already exists and should list your races in ascending order of level.

Oh really? Not a lot of people seemed to know when I was talking about it yesterday.

Also Turbulence, Face gave Flame Pred a buff to bring it back to what it used to be... I'm playing again now :) I've got like 1600 levels on this server. Not a lot, but I'm not too new to it.

I see it now in the commands thread thorgot, I'll give it a try. Didn't know I was suggesting something not new.

Tried it, and can't seem to get menuselect to work as part of the command chain unfortunately.  I just bound 3 keys to low, buy tome, previous.  Would still be nice to have something like #2, like we have for Wishes, but this definitely makes life easier.  Thanks for pointing it out!

Edited by Junzou

They've already changed a few races so money doesnt carry over to a new race, i dont think a plug in is worth the effort just to buy tome on a low race. Your levels will catch up eventually.

Edited by ESDaman

It's not needed, changerace low works fine.  Legit didn't know the command existed.  It's unfortunate that you can't combine it with other commands though, so I have to take up three bind keys to make it work instead of 1.

4 hours ago, Junzou said:

It's not needed, changerace low works fine.  Legit didn't know the command existed.  It's unfortunate that you can't combine it with other commands though, so I have to take up three bind keys to make it work instead of 1.

bind "key" "say changerace low;menuselect 1;shopmenu;menuselect x;menuselect y;say changerace previous"

w/e the tome menuselect numbers were..

Edit: or (not sure if it will trigger the no spam plugin :D)

bind "key" "say changerace low;menuselect 1;say buy tome;say changerace previous"

Or something along those lines.

Edited by xmen

1 hour ago, Junzou said:

Menuselect will not bind with the say command.  Try it.

if you're just looking to buy tomes and change back do this:

bind <key> "say changerace low; say buy tome; say changerace <desiredrace>"

ez.

I may have done this while getting 100% maxed. Only when on a race that couldn't purchase tomes tho.

1 hour ago, Moose said:

if you're just looking to buy tomes and change back do this:

bind <key> "say changerace low; say buy tome; say changerace <desiredrace>"

ez.

I may have done this while getting 100% maxed. Only when on a race that couldn't purchase tomes tho.

FML why does this work when it didnt work 3 weeks ago.

Thank you Mr. Moose.  I added menuselect in there too.