Sign in to follow this  
Yiyas

Make bhop great again

It's not about LJ that it annoys me on, it's on flight and teleport races that used to be so fluid after their ults. In fact if anything races like Archimonde seem unaffected entirely.

So why is bhopping disabled?

Bhopping is way easier on war3 than regular servers... just to confirm I'm not crazy (since it's all I play), I asked someone who mostly comps:

6:12 PM - Face: am i high, its easy as fuck to bhop on war3, right?
6:12 PM - twitch.tv/vulcan_tv: ^
6:12 PM - Face: compared to regular servers
6:12 PM - twitch.tv/vulcan_tv: 500%
6:12 PM - Face: war3 is like 100x easioer
6:12 PM - Face: yea
6:12 PM - Face: ok

Is it easy to the point where all races even those without LJ can bunnyhop and gain momentum?

It might be tedious but you can easily put a cap on the speed that someone can achieve while jumping, an attempt was made in the vanilla Succubus Hunter but it wouldn't work because both the mathematics and prop data are bad.

If you'd like help this summer I'd be happy to do so; even just levelling through the starter races I'm noticing several problems and with 200 in the server now I imagine it can be a drag even thinking about the oldest races. Several ideas come to mind to improve the starting experience of new players to the server, whom are just as important as regular population.

o m g nerd, listen to me. 

we used to have a plugin that allowed players to gain momentum. We, as a server, decided we didn't want it and took it off. this is known in history as the mimic addition. I believe there have been cvars created to specifically enable/disable bhop shit. 

Edited by skitt

I talked it over with skitt, and I understand why the current status of bhop is as it is. It's true, LJ is not hard to use; even buying longjump from the shop gives an entire race's skill and that's broken. However, I still believe it is the races that don't have LJ that are the ones getting punished the most from the CS:GO stamina mechanic which could be handled far better through the war3 module. It's not about gaining momentum, it's about how you lose all of it.

Perhaps it's not a really big of a concern since LJ works anyway, nobody seems to play human anymore and flight is just camping some roof half invis as Kirin-Tor. All I see played regularly at the moment are races I don't recognise (mostly Bob), so in the end it's a focus on underused races and forgotten mechanics.

I do have to point out that LJ is simplified because the multiplication is huge and you hit the speed cap instantly: on Succubus I'm gaining 2-4x speed (note that I gain more when I'm slower) each jump and the same goes for shopmenu LJ. As such, there is no longer a wind up and the skill required to build and maintain longjump is completely removed whilst the punishment and risk of being bashed or slowed is no longer existent.

I'm just seeking the grace in the old way that many of us developed on WCS1 and SurfRPG and, even if that time may have passed entirely, I have to say it can be implemented without any interference to current balance. I really don't think it'll be changed though so there's not much point elaborating. I just wanted to state my viewpoint clearly because it appears as if I'm trying to get longjump buffed and its limitations removed, which I'm not.

Edited by Yiyas

I don't think having LJ "wind up" is necessarily a bad idea. But I don't know if I'm going to go out of my way to change it myself. It's kinda been the way it is since the server started.

Changing regular hopping would definitely affect balance in some ways (infected, goliath, pudge, wizard of the everlasting all would be substantially better IMO). I really hated our "bhop" plugin because it made longjump feel like you are skating on ice and I think it really hurt some races like Archimonde and Master Sniper where you really want to hit the ground and stop. Not sure if that can be fixed, I never touched that plugin because I really didn't want it on in the first place.

I don't view this as whining tho, and I typically appreciate any well thought out suggestions.

Edited by Face