Sign in to follow this  
K-Logic

Bots?

So, I'm sure it has been brought up before, but why no bot for a single person in a server? It'd be nice to just go bang bang a bot that doesn't give any exp or points to our ranks.  DendiFace

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed in the past (probably before my time).

@skitt @thorgot @bulletford any particular reason other than "it isn't worth the effort to prevent xp and shopitems/make sure people don't find a way to exploit"?

Edited by Face

1 minute ago, EL_PATRON said:

It would be cool if the bots could play different races, like a lawnmower just rushing at you haha

By default they play random races with random levels.

2 hours ago, Face said:

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed in the past (probably before my time).

@skitt @thorgot @bulletford any particular reason other than "it isn't worth the effort to prevent xp and shopitems/make sure people don't find a way to exploit"?

Three reasons.

• They ignore invisibility, so the "fix" is to transform your invis to damage evasion when bots shoot you. This is lame but not enough of a reason on its own.
  • They don't use active abilities at all. Making an intelligent way to make them use them would be difficult. Making them use them randomly would be pretty easy and a good-enough solution.
  • Controlling a bot was a huge disaster in terms of switching races midround back then, though this has definitely improved a lot. It's also possible sm_cvar bot_controllable 0 would fix this issue entirely by preventing bots from being taken over. We didn't know about that cvar or maybe we tried it and it didn't work.

I'm not against the idea of having bot_quota 4 or something like that. If nothing else it helps get past the classic problem of nobody wanting to join an empty server.

2 hours ago, EL_PATRON said:

It would be cool if the bots could play different races, like a lawnmower just rushing at you haha

shadow lurker bots w/ aimbot? yeee

How about All bots randomize from a pool of races that do not have active abilities/ultimates. Like undead scourge, flame pred, angel of light, etc. IF we wanted to be super douche's and make it even more challenging give all bots ultimate immunity. 

I'm just gonna be honest, I really don't think this is something worth worrying about. Typically the server sits at 0/1 players or it very quickly climbs to 6+. I don't think the bots will change very much or make playing alone any more enjoyable (when there is 0 benefit).

It's been empty all day today, I wanted to play because I heard y'all got good EU ping now but it's just nigh impossible to get the server started for 3/4s of the day. Keep in mind people searching for servers will often completely ignore empty ones, leaving only regulars the ability to start up a server population.

Oh, you also get no XP if you are the only person in the server, reducing any benefits to being there to zero. The main issue when the server has only a couple people in it is the huge imbalance of skill and/or levels.

Edited by Yiyas

18 hours ago, Yiyas said:

It's been empty all day today, I wanted to play because I heard y'all got good EU ping now but it's just nigh impossible to get the server started for 3/4s of the day. Keep in mind people searching for servers will often completely ignore empty ones, leaving only regulars the ability to start up a server population.

Oh, you also get no XP if you are the only person in the server, reducing any benefits to being there to zero. The main issue when the server has only a couple people in it is the huge imbalance of skill and/or levels.

LORD YIYAS HAS SPOKEN!