Sign in to follow this  
Brodie Smith

Suggestion: Garry's Mod Role-Play Server

Generally Gmod RP servers brings a lot of new people, me having over 3000+ hours on a friends account and my own i have experienced a trend in the map and the amount of money that goes into rp servers with shops and currency (me spending money on rp stuff myself in the past) and i think it would be great to have a RP server with the map rp_downtown_v3 which is the more common popular map Right now, being able to purchase VIP and Respected, Custom classes buying weapons skins, custom tags etc.

But it's up to you guys :P i'm just suggesting 

I open to trying it again in the future, I think the biggest problem was we admins have a hard time not abusing.

I have 2 other servers that need to be situated first though.

I open to trying it again in the future, I think the biggest problem was we admins have a hard time not abusing.

I have 2 other servers that need to be situated first though.

I think the bigger problem is we tried to admin in the middle. We weren't too strict but didn't let the server go wild. Most RP servers are either complete chaos or so strict that if you break character they ban you.

We obviously don't want a crazy wild server. That just invites trolls to our lovely community.

It is difficult to get a strict server going because you have to gain a big population before you start laying down the law. The problem with those servers is that they are DDoSed to hell for banning people. However, now that the big "that which will not be named" gmod hack has been put to rest those attacks have died down a bit. That is because on that hacks forums you could purchase a DDoS attack on a server. 

I think the bigger problem is we tried to admin in the middle. We weren't too strict but didn't let the server go wild. Most RP servers are either complete chaos or so strict that if you break character they ban you.

We obviously don't want a crazy wild server. That just invites trolls to our lovely community.

It is difficult to get a strict server going because you have to gain a big population before you start laying down the law. The problem with those servers is that they are DDoSed to hell for banning people. However, now that the big "that which will not be named" gmod hack has been put to rest those attacks have died down a bit. That is because on that hacks forums you could purchase a DDoS attack on a server. 

fucking HF

The first time it basically died because everyone was spawning tons of shit, I specifically remember mitch coming in and spawning crates of weapons and then everyone was shooting everyone up and everyone quit. The sweocnd time was because honey fell off the face of the earth and gmod 13 came out.

I've thought about doing it a few times because i've learned a lot gmod wise and could probably put a bunch of stuff together, but with TTT custom under preforming I should probably focus on that first.

We have had 2 DarkRP servers and both times our community proved we could not handle it.

Mostly 'cause of Mitch though. Pretty sure we'd be all good nowadays.

Edited by Dyscivist

I am the hero sG deserves

Mostly 'cause of Mitch though. Pretty sure we'd be all good nowadays.

It wasn't just Mitch at all. I think many of the problem childs of darkRP have moved on or don't play much anymore, but there is still enough of them left. The server would need a ENG who could dedicate all their time to it. A dedicated advisor to babysit all the admins and logistics. Lastly, about 7-12 admins who are going to admin without abusing and most likely admin more than play for the first month or so. 

I started to make a darkRP server a while ago and after a few days I came back to the realization that we don't have a community with the people needed to admin the server responsibly. 

Generally Gmod RP servers brings a lot of new people, me having over 3000+ hours on a friends account and my own i have experienced a trend in the map and the amount of money that goes into rp servers with shops and currency (me spending money on rp stuff myself in the past) and i think it would be great to have a RP server with the map rp_downtown_v3 which is the more common popular map Right now, being able to purchase VIP and Respected, Custom classes buying weapons skins, custom tags etc.

But it's up to you guys :P i'm just suggesting 

m3bRZMl.gif

RP is fun, if the admins are a problem you haven't hired the appropriate admins. I personally have experienced admin privileges with over 4 years of experience, and the result was a increase in population for the community.

The trend on RP servers, You need to have a nice guy, Basically a friend of everyone, and then you do need to follow the rules of course.

What i'm trying to say is if you do bring it up and Hire SEPARATE admins for that SPECIFIC server it will run fluently and bring the Community (possibly donations) But you know, I am new to this community so please inform me about everything and i will try my best to do whatever i can do :) <-- made no sense but yeh

The admins for a RP server would have to be very dedicated lol. On the RP server is was on a few years ago the admins had so many complaints and things to deal with in game that they didn't have any time to actually play.

The admins for a RP server would have to be very dedicated lol. On the RP server is was on a few years ago the admins had so many complaints and things to deal with in game that they didn't have any time to actually play.

Admins are meant to be able to handle a challenge.. clearly the admins where unable to handle it. 

RP is fun, if the admins are a problem you haven't hired the appropriate admins. I personally have experienced admin privileges with over 4 years of experience, and the result was a increase in population for the community.

The trend on RP servers, You need to have a nice guy, Basically a friend of everyone, and then you do need to follow the rules of course.

What i'm trying to say is if you do bring it up and Hire SEPARATE admins for that SPECIFIC server it will run fluently and bring the Community (possibly donations) But you know, I am new to this community so please inform me about everything and i will try my best to do whatever i can do :) <-- made no sense but yeh

We don't "hire" admins, we give select people admin permissions on the premise they are volunteering there time to help run this server. We have given specific Admin to people who were willing to Admin/Play RP, they were SO's, but as a few people have stated it always fell apart. That was either caused by lack of an Eng, Admin's abusing, or people becoming bored of it. I remember a number of fun times with RP and I wish we could bring it back.

I feel like we have tried it more than twice lol. And each attempt lasted like a week or two before scrapping it or the server just becoming a ghost town.

Second attempt was at least a month of solid fun before it got ruined by Mitch spawning tons of rockets.

I started to make a darkRP server a while ago and after a few days I came back to the realization that we don't have a community with the people needed to admin the server responsibly.

It's not hard at all to admin responsibly on DarkRP... there's not many finicky rules to make things autistic and complicated. Just ban people if they're breaking the map with gay props, prop-killing or repeatedly RDMing.

Pretty sure most of the admins didn't even have the power to fuck up the server really. I know I was an SO and my power to do anything on the server was pretty limited beyond doling out punishments.

Edited by Dyscivist