Sign in to follow this  
Rayne

Mermaid Footage

The whole reason behind this thread is the same for why space-based Science Fiction is so popular: The ocean is vast, deep, mysterious, and fucking marvelous. It's nice to imagine all of the history that has grown in the waters. There is so much that is unknown, and so much that we're hoping truly does exist.

Yeh, the videos are fake, but who gives a shit? They made it, whatever. In the end, it's just a part of the wonder that is our Earth. People can believe what they want. If they choose to live their life believing that mermaids exist, then who are we to give a damn? Just look at Christianity.

Although, this whole thing raises the idea that, if the concept of humanoid mer-creatures exists, then the design must have been influenced by nature, so far back then. Just take a look at all Germanic folklore. What if these concepts aren't just designs from the minds of those before us? What if they are the telling of history? I mean, history in and of itself is all about trust in the documents which are left over from times passed. There is always the aspect of, "Was this written to exonerate X? Was this written to glorify Y? What if this little, rock statue is just meant to scare the people back then? Are these toys?"

The times don't ever change when it comes to this stuff, and they may always be influenced by the discoveries of their era. In the end it all boils down to what you want to believe, what you want to pursue, and what you will discover. People are going to believe this mermaid stuff for their own reasons: They may well be very hopeful; They may just be absorbing whatever the media are showing; They may well just be ignorant. In any case, all it means is the fascination still exists and won't disappear until we've finally learned all we can, and kaijus sprout from the ocean floor.

"What is a scientist after all? It is a curious man looking through a keyhole, the keyhole of nature, trying to know what’s going on."

— Jacques Cousteau, 1971

A lot of respect for this post, said what I couldn't. 

While it is wholly possible that there are creatures out there in the oceans that we haven't seen before which could be the cause of some of the anomalies such as those vocalizations. If we allow ourselves to think 'How could mermaids be real?' it would be extraordinary circumstances. First of all, you would have to be at the right time in African when apes were slowly evolving into Homo-based species. Then you would have to take into consideration all the other factors such as rising seas in the right place etc. I'm not saying its impossible but its very unlikely.

Thank you for proving my point once again. Now everybody can see you are a prick in every way shape and form. I offer an olive branch to stop pointless trolling, and you continue to troll.

Again, spreading misinformation... I'm trying to gather information for my own use, you absolute mug. 

Bannana I've not said anybodies opinion is stupid, I said I didn't want to hear people telling me things are fake. I'm attempting to gather information and as always, this community doesn't read, jumps to conclusions and destroys a perfectly good discussion thread.

Hats off to all of you, again.

>"Goldentongue u r Retarded"

>"Mermaids is real"

>Shut the fuck up Rayne

>"Goldentongue pls stop"

>No

>"Goldentongue u r Retarded."

The whole reason behind this thread is the same for why space-based Science Fiction is so popular: The ocean is vast, deep, mysterious, and fucking marvelous. It's nice to imagine all of the history that has grown in the waters. There is so much that is unknown, and so much that we're hoping truly does exist.

Yeh, the videos are fake, but who gives a shit? They made it, whatever. In the end, it's just a part of the wonder that is our Earth. People can believe what they want. If they choose to live their life believing that mermaids exist, then who are we to give a damn? Just look at Christianity.

Although, this whole thing raises the idea that, if the concept of humanoid mer-creatures exists, then the design must have been influenced by nature, so far back then. Just take a look at all Germanic folklore. What if these concepts aren't just designs from the minds of those before us? What if they are the telling of history? I mean, history in and of itself is all about trust in the documents which are left over from times passed. There is always the aspect of, "Was this written to exonerate X? Was this written to glorify Y? What if this little, rock statue is just meant to scare the people back then? Are these toys?"

The times don't ever change when it comes to this stuff, and they may always be influenced by the discoveries of their era. In the end it all boils down to what you want to believe, what you want to pursue, and what you will discover. People are going to believe this mermaid stuff for their own reasons: They may well be very hopeful; They may just be absorbing whatever the media are showing; They may well just be ignorant. In any case, all it means is the fascination still exists and won't disappear until we've finally learned all we can, and kaijus sprout from the ocean floor.

"What is a scientist after all? It is a curious man looking through a keyhole, the keyhole of nature, trying to know what’s going on."

— Jacques Cousteau, 1971

Yeah, that sounds sweet and harmless at all, until you consider that in a democratic society people who say idiotic shit like this:

I truly believe they must exist based on everything on the table...the fact that the government is down right denying anything is another reason I add to the pile.

s.

might actually influence other people.

Just look at Christianity.

Exactly. Look at Christianity. The outright denial of reality in favor of fictional myth and legend actually has a negative impact on society and scientific progress. Edited by Goldentongue

Posting real footage of mermaids, and not that fake shit Rayne keeps posting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBa9QlzEWA4

As you can see this video was posted in 2007 and I believe it can convince even the most devout Christians that mermaids exist and we are all living in a fantasy world controlled by the old Greek/Roman gods.

Wake up America this is the truth.

lmfao just your common sense rayne. After the mockumentary aired on animal planet there was such a huge reaction and people took it so seriously the government issued that statement. Also the NOAA didn't "downright deny it", it said that as far as we know they don't exist. And just think about it for a second, how the fuck would a human and fish breed and produce fertile and healthy offspring. Most fish have external fertilization compared to internal fertilization like us. Also a common definition of a species is the ability for a group of organisms to interbreed and produce fertile offspring. Obviously two completely different species (humans and fish) wouldn't be able to fuck, let alone create a healthy baby. This is just completely ignoring the several other completely obvious reasons that mermaids can't exist.

I just thought the PM was mildly interesting...

PM:
I don't need somebody down repping my threads for no reason and hijacking them because you have a dislike for me based on a joke.

Meanwhile I have suddenly had a surge of neg-reps on posts I made from october onwards from a certain someone that apparently only knew of my existence in January...

There are bigger conspiracies in the thread than mermaids. *gasp*

On topic: Well, if it has taken us over 2000 years to find legitimate proof of this creature, it must be real.

There was one found in Japan by a kid wearing a tunic after he arrived on an island with his best friend who happens to be a man and is with him 24/7 on the vast open seas, only to find a horny sea-dog who wanted to capture a mermaid to have sex with her. The boy hit the mermaid with his boomerang and talked to her and she gave him a massive quest and the boy got an amazing scroll that allowed him to set his sword on fire in the end. Legit.

Ok, the biggest disservice I've done to you isn't crudely insulting your lifestyle choices so far, it's assuming you're smart enough to figure out why this would make no sense on your own.

To start, I'll begin with a line from the well written but logically flawed post by Camelfun:

"The ocean is vast, deep, mysterious, and fucking marvelous. It's nice to imagine all of the history that has grown in the waters. There is so much that is unknown, and so much that we're hoping truly does exist."

This is true. Much of the deep ocean is completely unexplored, and discovery of new deep ocean species happens on a regular basis. But let's highlight part of that: deep ocean.  The idea of a large surface dwelling animal (which legend has it mermaids are), fish or mammal, existing without any scientific documentation so far is highly dubious.

But let's assume that mermaids are deep water creatures. What we see in deep water species is evolutionary traits thatlessresemble shallower marine species, and certainly don't resemble land creatures at all. The vastly unique environmental conditions of the deep ocean would create evolutionary developments so completely different from land animals.

Yes, convergent evolution does occur, but it always occurs in animals that share almost the exact same environment and niche. Sharks and dolphins have similar shape as large marine predators. Bats and birds have similar shape as small flying insect eaters.

But for a deepwater fish and a land dwelling primate to evolve similarly at all makes zero sense. Humans evolved from a very specific set of conditions involving earlier primates that descended from trees and began walking upright, only within the past couple million years. There is no set of evolutionary conditions that would involve the development of a creature with the upper torso of a primate and the lower body of a fish, two creatures that are separated by billions of years of evolution. And no other creature on earth is exactly one half of something, and one half of another animal entirely.

There are countless mythological creatures that involve the combination of multiple different species. The sphinx, the chimera, the cockatrice, the unicorn, the griffin, Pegasus, etc, all very clearly fictional. Throughout human history they've created new fantastic creature for stories using the elements of existing creatures they know. And what animal do humans know better than humans themselves? We have the centaur, the Minotaur, harpies, and yes, mermaids, just to name a few legendary monsters created with a human element. Many religions even worship gods with a very human form, based on the ancient misconception that out of all the animals on this planet, we are somehow divinely special or unique.

There is not a shred of credible scientific evidence to support the existence of mermaids, despite the countless anecdotal stories that claim they exist. The same can be said of bigfoot, ghosts, and many of the creatures listed above. Sure, you can insistently claim that we have no means of disproving it and therefore you have the right to maintain your belief, but by that logic we could argue that an invisible tooth fairy comes and sucks my dick in the middle of the night and that's why I wake up with sticky sheets.

Edited by Goldentongue

There are countless mythological creatures that involve the combination of multiple different species. The sphinx, the chimera, the cockatrice, the unicorn, the griffin, Pegasus, etc, all very clearly fictional. Throughout human history they've created new fantastic creature for stories using the elements of existing creatures they know. And what animal do humans know better than humans themselves? We have the centaur, the Minotaur, harpies, and yes, mermaids, just to name a few legendary monsters created with a human element. Many religions even worship gods with a very human form, based on the ancient misconception that out of all the animals on this planet, we are somehow divinely special or unique.

That's actually a pretty decent argument.

But it was factually inaccurate, not logically flawed. There was no logic (comparison) in my argument, but correlation.

/>

That's actually a pretty decent argument.

But it was factually inaccurate, not logically flawed. There was no logic (comparison) in my argument, but correlation.

Any claim or explanation, even one as open ended as yours, uses some form of logic. I'll explain it to you tomorrow if you need me to.