Sign in to follow this  
Master Chadron

Server reduced to 64 tick out of nowhere

Why not spend the the money paying a coder to optimize code? Throwing money at the servers seems like a really inefficient way to spend $ given that it's single-threaded.

Why not spend the the money paying a coder to optimize code? Throwing money at the servers seems like a really inefficient way to spend $ given that it's single-threaded.

lack of coders?

Better CPU is easier to acquire?

lack of coders?

Better CPU is easier to acquire?

I just think that we won't be able to get anywhere with hardware improvements given how good our hardware is already. We need a LOT of % improvement to fix the lag at its worst and the lag is only going to get worse as more stuff gets added to the server.

Paying someone to program races rather than it be a hobby whenever us engineers have time would be very expensive, much more than a new processor. Albeit it would get a lot more done say if Thorgot or I spent 40 hours a week coding, but I think the current rate of progression we have is fairly decent considering its all for fun and for the community

edit: alternatively we can look into the best single core server processor and see some reviews on how it does compared to our processor.

another edit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117281

this one has about 15% better single thread performance than our processor, that and if you get this and shut down the other cores and pump the single core in an overclock and only use it for war3 you're looking at about 40% better performance. And it's only $660.

another edit:

after doing some searching it seems like almost everyone has this problem. I don't believe having more efficient code would do much, I mean from the very get go we had to reduce from 32 players to 28 players because it was killing the server. Plus Thorgot and I do our best to keep the code clean and efficient, there's maybe like 2 or 3 races we made earlier on that were fairly poor but since then everything has been nice and smooth. We also have been making an effort to go back and fix the inefficient code

Personally I'd like to throw money at the problem.

is the American way! <br /><br />Sent from my HTC Ville<br /><br />

Paying someone to program races rather than it be a hobby whenever us engineers have time would be very expensive, much more than a new processor. Albeit it would get a lot more done say if Thorgot or I spent 40 hours a week coding, but I think the current rate of progression we have is fairly decent considering its all for fun and for the community

edit: alternatively we can look into the best single core server processor and see some reviews on how it does compared to our processor.

another edit:

this one has about 15% better single thread performance than our processor, that and if you get this and shut down the other cores and pump the single core in an overclock and only use it for war3 you're looking at about 40% better performance. And it's only $660.

another edit:

after doing some searching it seems like almost everyone has this problem. I don't believe having more efficient code would do much, I mean from the very get go we had to reduce from 32 players to 28 players because it was killing the server. Plus Thorgot and I do our best to keep the code clean and efficient, there's maybe like 2 or 3 races we made earlier on that were fairly poor but since then everything has been nice and smooth. We also have been making an effort to go back and fix the inefficient code

So that $660 upgrade, will it increase month to month costs as well? Because we can do a one-time fundraising drive for the money, but I wouldn't trust sG with increased month to month financial necessities.

What are we suggesting be recoded? Would be nice if srcds was multi core, source mod could be more efficient, are we really thinking the races are causing the slow down <br /><br />Sent from my HTC Ville<br /><br />

another edit:

another edit:

I'm going to preface this with my expression of love for you guys since you do this on your free time and you really dedicate a lot for these servers, and for that I give thanks.

That said, I know you guys are good coders who try to keep fluff to a minimum but there was a point sometime around November when the server lag REALLY went to shit. I don't know what optimizations you guys were doing to the server from release until October-ish but I never really had any complaints about the server aside from some lag when server was full on certains maps, and even then it wasn't really consistent lag.

Then it seemed like something happened sometime in November that made it so that whenever the server was full, the rate would consistently be down to 30-50. It was bearable at first, but then as the Thanksgiving event hit it got even worse, with rates dropping to 15-20 consistently, sometimes not even when the server was full. I talked to thorgot a lot about it and he said you guys had started doing some code optimizations, and I haven't played in the past month so I don't know what's changed, but it sounds like things aren't any different. Personally I'm afraid that as you guys add more stuff and more races to the server it's going to get worse.

thanks for bearing with my ramblings.

why the fuck did the tickrate go back to 102? the whole point of reducing it was to solve the choke issue. anyone who plays on the server knows this.

The difference in quality of gameplay between 102 and 64 is a lot less than people realize, and this is just exacerbating the issue that was the server choke b/c of the 102 tickrate...

server is now unplayable again at  full pop, g fucking g

i don't think it's that funny when i cant play on the server because of it and i spent literally weeks trying to get people to realize it was a problem in the first place. you can laugh, b/c u have barely been on recently. it's not funny at all.

EDIT: sorry, i shouldnt be so pissed off over such a stupid thing. hangover is killin me right now

Edited by Vexium

i don't think it's that funny when i cant play on the server because of it and i spent literally weeks trying to get people to realize it was a problem in the first place. you can laugh, b/c u have barely been on recently. it's not funny at all.

EDIT: sorry, i shouldnt be so pissed off over such a stupid thing. hangover is killin me right now

For me over the past months in my dorms has been near impossible to play. I mean, the time slot where my dorm network is not influxed is well past midnight which is generally the dying down point of the server. So if I play during the day, the dorm network mixed in with the server lag only amplifies the problem for me. I probably wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between 64tick and 102tick because of inconsistent ping. Generally speaking, it is not fun for me to play, one of the various reasons why I resigned as SO.

Anyway, with my brief stay at home on stable internet, yes 64 tick seemed to be better on the server. Then people complained about how their shots were off and other bullshit. I personally don't care, I am in a short term enjoyment of the server atm, just having stable internet is way better.

BTW good luck with that hangover, drink some water or something if you happen to be dehydrated.

Yeah dude you made that post at 7:50 PM that's a long-ass hangover. Anyway we can push back the server tick rate to 64 if that's what the majority wants, and there is definitely an increase in the lag with every joining player. Most of all you and I and everyone wants the same, a lag-free server that's enjoyable for everyone. If anyone has any really good suggestions (some research before-hand would be valuable) then please post them so we can look into all possibilities. Right now we're taking the approach of making the code more efficient but it doesn't seem to do much, especially some races create a lot of load on the server regardless of code efficiency (e.g. trickster, with each barrel the load increases). Some Ideas we've had are to upgrade the actual server, and to find the best suitable operating system to run a cs:go server on. We've got a good idea for a good processor if sG decides to make that move, and the operating system part I tried taking a look into but it wasn't easy to find, if someone can do that it would be valuable. Again, if anyone has any ideas at all just post them please, it will help everyone.

why the fuck did the tickrate go back to 102? the whole point of reducing it was to solve the choke issue. anyone who plays on the server knows this.

The difference in quality of gameplay between 102 and 64 is a lot less than people realize, and this is just exacerbating the issue that was the server choke b/c of the 102 tickrate...

server is now unplayable again at  full pop, g fucking g

I know doe :3 getting 18 tick when everyone is alive... Gotta wait till it's like 4v4 and bomb planted before I start moving... Wellllll another reason not to play that much anymoar :)

Actually do we know what is causing the lag? Is there any chance it's a database thing for either levels or for stats? I think we've had this problem with the database before.

I asked thorgot to check on that first, ika. Apparently it isn't.

Coolness, that is nothing compared to the high choke that the server gets on 100 tick with max pop. It gets to be unplayable. At least on 64 it is consistent. It may not be perfect, but 64 tick is not nearly as bad as the choke.