Sign in to follow this  
Clay

Complete anti-phishing guide.

How to get your account back.

Prove it's your account.

Make a Steam support ticket.

Register with the same username as your account if possible.

Take a photo of all of your CD keys with a time stamped piece of paper with your account name on it. Similar to this.

badkjaacb.jpg

Now that's not near being good enough, so make sure you include the actual cd keys, don't make them read off of the picture, especially if you have a shitty camera.

Even better, scan the actual cards and put your name on each one if possible.

If you bought them from the store, post the following information. Card type, full name on card, expiration date, and last 4 digits of the credit card number. DO NOT POST THE FULL NUMBER.

Explain what happened and offer more evidence if needed. I've heard reports of Valve being total assholes about this, but remember, your investment depends on their generosity, so be as good about everything as possible. Type correctly, like I do here. Make sure you use punctuation, correct capitalization, do not use acronyms or shortened words like u or n or afaik, and keep spelling errors and grammar mistakes to a minimum.

If you follow this guide, there shouldn't be any problems in getting your account back in to your hands and out of the phisher's.

Here's what I would tell Valve.

Dear Valve,

My account was recently phished and I was wondering if you could help me retrieve it back. My user name is Claytonian. Here's proof that I own Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Counter-Strike: Source, and the Orange Box.

badkjaacb.jpg

I do not have a scanner, but I can provide pictures of the individual key cards if necessary.

Half-Life 2 - XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXXX

Half-Life 2: Episode One - XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Counter-Strike: Source - XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

The Orange Box - XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

One of my Steam friends sent me an invite to his group, but it was actually a phisher site, and I lost my account because of it. Please help me resolve this issue.

(BTW, for those of you that know what Exif data is, these CD keys are all registered to a dead account.)

How to not get phished.

The "log in again" technique.

When you go there, you'll be asked to log in to your Steam account again. Then someone steals it. Basically, no matter what you do, do not log in to whatever sites you get sent. Whether it's "add my new account.", or "join my group.".

The "OMG VALVE SECURITY" technique.

Valve Software Account Manager - Hello, this is Johnathan from Valve.

Valve Software Account Manager - We've received complaints about this account.

Valve Software Account Manager - In order for us to continue letting you use it, we must verify your ownership of it.

Valve Software Account Manager - Please send me your user name and password in this chat window.

You - :o WAT DID I DO

Valve Software Account Manager - Nothing yet sir, please send me your account information so I can verify your account.

You - ok

You - Claytonian

You - (insert password here)

You just got phished. Never EVER tell anyone your account info in a chat window unless you TRUST that person and are letting them use your account for some reason. Valve doesn't raid your account in chat and ask you to verify your account. This is how it should go.

Valve Software Account Manager - Hello, this is Johnathan from Valve.

Valve Software Account Manager - We've received complaints about this account.

Valve Software Account Manager - In order for us to continue letting you use it, we must verify your ownership of it.

Valve Software Account Manager - Please send me your user name and password in this chat window.

You - Or, how about you suck mah balls?

Valve Software Account Manager is now offline.

Nicely done.

Typed up by Clay.

weird thing is, I never tell my stuff to anyone or use the same passwords for stuff, or put in my account info on sites like that, but i still got phished, bullshit

Useful info, glad it's stickied.

I had to go through a process like that once. Had to get my CD key for hl1 anthology moved from my 5 digit to my now 8 digit after I was told my 5 digit was hijacked from someone else before given to me.

Cool guide. Someone tried to phish me last night, I just told them to fuck off.

That's fun. Trolling phishers is great.

Useful info, glad it's stickied.

I had to go through a process like that once. Had to get my CD key for hl1 anthology moved from my 5 digit to my now 8 digit after I was told my 5 digit was hijacked from someone else before given to me.

o_o That sucks. What kind of a friend gives someone a phished 5 dig without telling them it's stolen?

so this only works for things you've bought physically?

Nope, send them the last 4 digits and all your credit card's other info. Win the game.

Not saying i've been phished but what if it was given as a steam gift and don't have access to that person's info? Just a possible scenario for yah to research :P

You can say it was gifted to you. Provide the gifter's name. If it got gifted to you, chances are that you know them either IRL or have them on Steam friends.

How to get your account back.

Prove it's your account.

Make a Steam support ticket.

Register with the same username as your account if possible.

Take a photo of all of your CD keys with a time stamped piece of paper with your account name on it. Similar to this.

badkjaacb.jpg

Now that's not near being good enough, so make sure you include the actual cd keys, don't make them read off of the picture, especially if you have a shitty camera.

Even better, scan the actual cards and put your name on each one if possible.

If you bought them from the store, post the following information. Card type, full name on card, expiration date, and last 4 digits of the credit card number. DO NOT POST THE FULL NUMBER.

Explain what happened and offer more evidence if needed. I've heard reports of Valve being total assholes about this, but remember, your investment depends on their generosity, so be as good about everything as possible. Type correctly, like I do here. Make sure you use punctuation, correct capitalization, do not use acronyms or shortened words like u or n or afaik, and keep spelling errors and grammar mistakes to a minimum.

If you follow this guide, there shouldn't be any problems in getting your account back in to your hands and out of the phisher's.

Here's what I would tell Valve.

(BTW, for those of you that know what Exif data is, these CD keys are all registered to a dead account.)

How to not get phished.

The "log in again" technique.

When you go there, you'll be asked to log in to your Steam account again. Then someone steals it. Basically, no matter what you do, do not log in to whatever sites you get sent. Whether it's "add my new account.", or "join my group.".

The "OMG VALVE SECURITY" technique.

You just got phished. Never EVER tell anyone your account info in a chat window unless you TRUST that person and are letting them use your account for some reason. Valve doesn't raid your account in chat and ask you to verify your account. This is how it should go.

Nicely done.

Typed up by Clay.

Thats the way to do it. :D

Guest vivek88

This Guide provides background on phishing and spoofing, discusses current approaches to managing the risks, and highlights a new and more effective way for companies to protect their domains and brands, and guard against the cost of fraud.

This Guide provides background on phishing and spoofing, discusses current approaches to managing the risks, and highlights a new and more effective way for companies to protect their domains and brands, and guard against the cost of fraud.

ok then...